« Home | You Are Not Good Enough » | And Then » 

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 

Bastards

I am green grass
Cultivated by the Joneses
With whom you are not keeping up
I am freshly mowed
And smell of summer
I am acrid and bewitching
I am greener than that patch you tend

Yes, come put your barefeet in my soft locks
Step into my brilliance
Reflecting sunshine
And so full
Your patch looks withered and brown
From over here
Your patch looks lifeless next to me

It wouldn't take much, you know?
Some fertilizer
A sprinkler
You say it's a drought
I say put a bucket in the rain
Collect that essence and share it
You say you'd rather picnic elsewhere
As you inch your toe under the fence

Yes, come put your barefeet in my soft locks
Do you recall your patch last spring?
Green, brilliant
Like me
Now overtaken with grubs
Eating away at the root
The source
For lack of care
Or perhaps simply life's cycle
We feed on what we can, after all

I am green grass and I've been lucky
I am not impervious to grubs
Nor drought
Nor carelessness lavished upon me by an indifferent hand
I do not implore you to desire me
I do not hope for your tending
I am simply green
Lush
Brilliant
Soft
And you are watching me from walls
Too solid to bend

Assholes. grrr. Word Verif added.

This is beautiful writing. I love your take on an old cliche. Fabulous!

Post a Comment
Yes Indeedy: Bastards